WAPDA POWER HISTORY
At the time of independence, Pakistan inherited 60MW of power generation capability for a population of 31.5 million, yielding 4.5 units per capita consumption. Twelve years later, when WAPDA was created in 1959, the generation capacity had increased to 119 MW. By that time country had entered the phase of development, which required a dependable and sold infrastructure, electricity being its most significant part. The task of power dev elopement was undertaken by WAPDA for executing a number of hydel and thermal generation projects, a matching transmission network and a distribution system, which could sustain the load of rapidly increasing demand of electricity.
The effects of WAPDA's professional approach to find the solution to multifarious problems did not take long to show. After first five years of its operation by 1964-65, the electricity generation capability rose to 636 MW from 119 in 1959, and power generation to about 2,500 MKWH from 781 MKWH. Number of consumers in 1959 to 688 thousand in 1965. As many as 609 villages had electricity supplied to them by 1959, increasing to 1882 in 1965. The rapid progress witnessed a new life to the social, technical and economic structures of the country, mechanized agriculture started, industrialization picked up and general living standards improved.
The task of accelerating the pace of power development picked up speed and by 1970, in another five years the generating capability rose from 636 MW to 1331 MW with installation of a number of thermal and hydel power units. In the year 1980 the system capacity touched 3000 MW which rapidly rose to over 7000 MW in 1990-91. Now the total generation capacity from WAPDA's own hydel and thermal sources after completion of Chashma Hydro Power Plant plus generation from independent power procedures stands at 15764 MW.
OTHER RELATED LINKS